Location and Size
- The independent Sultanate of Oman is situated in the south-east part of the Arabian peninsula, and is bordered by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to the west, the Republic of Yemen to the south, the Arabian Sea to the east, and the Gulf of Oman and the Strait of Hormuz to the north.
- The area is about 309,500 square km².
- The Sultanate of Oman is the second largest country in the Arabian Peninsula.
Principal Commercial Centres
- Muscat is the principal commercial centre, covering Muttrah, Ruwi and Seeb.
- Other important centres are Sur, Nizwa and Suhar in the north and Salalah in the southern region of Dhofar.
Weights and Measures
The metric system is utilised.